The American Baptist Churches of New Jersey provides a limited number of Scholarships to persons from ABCNJ churches in covenant with the region. Applicants must be enrolled in one of the following Undergraduate or Professional Degree Programs from an accredited institution: Associates, Bachelor of Arts/Science or Master of Religious Education (M.R. E.), or Masters of Divinity (M.Div.).
NEW EMERGING SCHOLARS • APPLICATION PROCESS
- Fill out the ABCNJ Emerging Scholar application. (Please note, 2018 Emerging Scholars Application period is not yet open for 2018. This link will become active once the period has opened).
- Compose a typed one page (250 words) integrative essay on the theme “God's call in my life.”
- This essay should be mailed to the address below by June 30 of the application year. Alternatively, essays may be emailed as a PDF to email@example.com.
Scholar Awards Committee,
American Baptist Churches of New Jersey
3752 Nottingham Way, Suite 101, Trenton, NJ 08690-3802
- Obtain a letter of recommendation and good standing from the pastor of your church, and mail it to the above address.
- Have the appropriate office at your school (most likely Financial Aid or Registrar) verify your enrollment in the Fall semester in the year the application is submitted. This verification must be on school letterhead and mailed to the above address no later than September 15 of the application year.
CURRENT EMERGING SCHOLARS • CONTINUING SCHOLARSHIP
Students who have received an Emerging Scholar Grant can be renewed in the following academic year (up to four years). In order to be renewed, students must have the appropriate office at their school (most likely Financial Aid or Registrar) verify enrollment in the Fall semester in the year of the renewal. This verification must be on school letterhead and mailed to the above address no later than September 15 of the renewal year.
- Up to 15 undergraduate ABCNJ Emerging Scholar awards will be granted each year. The top essay and names of all scholarship recipients will be included in the Annual Session workbook. Scholarships will be granted according to the following schedule.
- $700 Emerging Scholar Gold Award
- $600 Emerging Scholar Silver Award
- $500 Emerging Scholar Bronze Award Award
- Twelve $350 Emerging Scholar Awards
- Up to 12 ABCNJ Seminarian Scholar Awards of $1,000 each will be granted each year. All scholarship recipients will be acknowledged at Annual Session and the top essays and names of all scholarship recipients will be published in the Annual Session workbook.
- Full scholarships will only be awarded to undergraduates or seminarians who are registered as full time students with a course load of 12 or more credits. Part-time students will be have their scholarships adjusted in balance with their course load.
- Family members of full-time ABCNJ employees and the Scholars Award Committee are not eligible for awards.
- Sponsoring churches must be in covenant with ABCNJ. This includes giving to either United Mission and/or ABCNJ Region Offering in the year the application is submitted and participating in associational and regional events, such as Annual Session.
All awards will be mailed directly to the recipient’s academic institution after verification is received.