America is experiencing a moral, economic and political crisis regarding immigration. Therefore, we call for a compassionate bipartisan national solution on immigration that:
- Respects the God-given dignity of every person
- Protects the unity of the immediate family
- Respects the rule of law
- Guarantees secure national borders
- Ensures fairness to taxpayers
- Establishes a path toward legal status and/or citizenship for those who qualify and who wish to become permanent residents
We urge our nation’s leaders to work together with the American people to pass immigration reform that embodies these key principles and that will make our nation proud.
The ABCNJ Council authorizes the Public Mission Committee to send this Statement of Concern to the New Jersey Congressional Delegation and authorizes our Executive Minister and Senior Regional Pastor to add his signature to the Evangelical Statement of Principles for Immigration Reform, from which the above statement was adapted (http://evangelicalimmigrationtable.com).
Revised by the ABCNJ Council on May 11, 2013 and passed with one abstention.