ABCNJ is currently seeking applications for a region accountant. The American Baptist Churches of New Jersey (ABCNJ), founded in 1830 under its original name of the New Jersey Baptist Convention, has more than 285 member churches and approximately 70,000 members. ABCNJ is an energetic multi-cultural and multi-ethnic fellowship characterized by friendship, mutual respect, and cooperation. Our mission is to serve our churches and pastors in a Christ-centered, mission-focused, and loving manner. ABCNJ is an equal opportunity employer.
This full-time position works out of our office in Trenton. The region accountant plays a vital role in maintaining an effective system of accounting and budget control over the region’s fiscal assets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)/ABCNJ Operations
- Administer daily cash balancing and process cash receipts and disbursements for all bank accounts
Track purchases and sales in certain investment accounts and post monthly investment values
Administer accounts payable, accounts receivable – invoicing and check payments
- Support the Executive Minister in development of an annual budget
- Create monthly budget reports
- Verify each account on a monthly general fund balance sheet
- Administer posting and balancing of expenses, including payroll account
- Bank account management
- Process payroll bi-weekly using a third party payroll provider
Charitable Gifts and Endowment Administration
- Review gift fund requirements from an accounting and gift agreement perspective
- Ensure compliance with regulatory standards
- Maintain internal controls and ensure accuracy and timely processing of all gifts and donations
- Process certain gift distributions
- Balance all account details
- Work with auditor to produce any information requested and complete annual audits
- Follow up with any changes
Other Duties as Necessary
- Work closely with Treasurer and Administrative Assistant
- Work with insurance brokers as instructed by Executive Minister
- This position requires making presentations to the ABCNJ Executive Committee and Council
Core Competencies Valued for This Position
- Very high degree of Ethics and Values
- Is timely with reporting and transparent in sharing information that affects the work of other team members.
- Integrity and Trust
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and in a team environment
- Able to work with multiple deadlines and competing priorities
- Able to communicate and present information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance, business, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of investments and investment accounting preferred
- Knowledge of applied principles of accounting
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with a sharp attention to details
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external clients and diverse stakeholders
- Analytical and critical thinking and planning skills essential
- Resourceful and skilled in problem-solving
- Proficiency in business applications, specifically MS Office, QuickBooks accounting software and database systems required.
ABCNJ is a great place to work. Our competitive compensation package includes employer paid contributions to a 403b retirement plan, healthcare benefits, and paid time off – vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
How to Apply
The search for an ABCNJ Staff Accountant will continue until a suitable candidate becomes available. Please submit a cover letter with resume, and provide contact information for three (3) professional references (e.g. phone number, email, and mailing address) to our Interim Executive Minister, Rev. Dr. Elmo Familiaran.
American Baptist Churches of New Jersey 3752 Nottingham Way, Suite 101 Trenton, NJ 08690
Email submissions are encouraged and may be submitted to Dr. Familiaran at firstname.lastname@example.org.