“Baptists are people of the book” is a phrase I often heard growing up. Indeed, we are known for reading, studying and teaching the scriptures. But somehow something has been lost along the way. Does this alarm you?
Early Bird Deadline - 2/25
According to research provided by Barna, Americans are becoming biblically illiterate.
The study reveals:
- fewer than half of all adults can name the four gospels
- 82 percent of Americans believe “God helps those who help themselves” is a Bible verse
- 12 percent of adults believe that Joan of Arc was Noah’s wife
- A survey of graduating high school seniors revealed that over 50 percent thought that Sodom and Gomorrah were husband and wife
- A large number of respondents to one poll indicated that the Sermon on the Mount was preached by Billy Graham (ok folks, he has been around for a long time, but really, not that long!)
This year the Church Officers and Leaders (COAL) training event will provide you with two great opportunities to increase your Bible study practices. Creative Bible Study, led by Rev. Gina Jacobs-Strain and Elaine Cody will inspired participants to persist in study and personal application of the Word of God. Reading the Bible with Young Leaders, led by a young leader herself, Maria Isabel Gomez, will challenge teachers and mentors to teach in a manner that will help reveal the scriptures in a way that will help young leaders on their spiritual journey.
We invite you to come, grow and fall in love with reading, studying and applying the scriptures in your daily lives. The Church Officers and Leaders training event is an opportunity for participants to be empowered and equipped with biblical and practical ways to be PREPARED and STRENGTHEN spiritually in order to SERVE our communities.